Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wrinkle Prevention and Removal

I just figured out, I am causing some of my own wrinkles! And - I discovered a new one!

I'm a little devastated. Now I know that when I lay down at night, dog-tired, just wanting to lay on my side and mush my face into the soft, soft pillow - I am further creating crow's feet, deeper nasolabial folds, and - a BRAND NEW wrinkle that I just discovered this weekend - which I call the "VERTICAL CREASE".

(disclaimer: I am not in the business of discovering anything actually, specifically medical or cosmetic discoveries, but I did happen to find two new wrinkles on my face, and they they are there - so I figured it was only right and just to report it to the women of the world.)

Here's how I made my discovery.

A few weeks ago - when Dr. Riehs gave me fuller lips (you can read the whole story here)- he mentioned a side of my face which was a little more wrinkly-creased, and said, "I see you're a side sleeper..." - I didn't think too much of it until I got home and laid down to sleep. The next morning - I stood in front of the mirror, and mimicked the side-sleeping, pillow-mushing pressure that I put my aging face through every single night - (by pressing my hand up against the side of my face) and WHOA, NELLY. Those nasolabial folds and 'Vertical crease' as I dub it, not to mention crow's feet a bit - REALLY get several hours of reinforcement during the night - just by sleeping on my side.

I think what alarmed me the most - was this new wrinkle (Vertical Crease) that is literally a up-and-down line that is formed by my cheek pushing against my nose - the line starts mid-nose on BOTH SIDES and goes straight up and outward at a slight angle toward the tear-duct of my eye. And what's worse - is that I AM SEEING THIS WRINKLE in the mornings. Luckily, right now - it doesn't stay there all day, it fades an hour or so after getting up and at' em. But this is NOT good news - this means that every night I am ADDING two more wrinkles, and I can see them starting to 'brew' right on my face!

Then, I started REALLY thinking about this every time I mush my face into the pillow.

Now, I wake up in the middle of the night, flipping over in hopes the crease will not be permanent. I wonder if they'll ever make a really comfortable straight jacket that I can just sleep in, suspended from the ceiling somehow, so that I am not creating the grandfather of all nasolabial folds on both sides of my face. I wonder if these beauty and wrinkle pillows really work.

OH! THE DILEMMA.

Certainly - we know Dr. Riehs can remove or drastically reduce wrinkles with Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers such as Restylane.

BUT what of the 'new wrinkle' I discovered? Do you have do these cosmetic procedures 2-3 times a year if you're a side sleeper over 35? Am I doomed to never sleep comfortably again or be wrinkly? The quest is on to find out the answers to these questions and more.

I will have to report back to you on my findings of what works and what doesn't.

For now - we know these things will help avoid additional lines and creases on your face.

  • Sleep on your back if you can.

  • Avoid straws, smoking - as you pucker up this way, you reinforce the vertical lines around your lips.

  • Pat, don't rub - when using towels and drying your face and body.

  • Follow a proper skincare routine - utilizing great brands such as SkinMedica, (for TNS, Moisturizers, etc) SkinCeuticals, (for awesome serums) AHA's, Retin-A, and the other parts of Dr. Riehs' exclusive skincare program. Contact us for a customized skin care program.

No comments:

Post a Comment